Statement Essay

Why do I want to study architecture at Cardiff?

From an early age, I have been interested in architecture and always wanted to pursue it as a career. After reviewing University courses and attending “open days” I am convinced Cardiff would be an ideal fit for me with the specific course content. I am excited by the wide range of facilities available and feel they will enhance my learning experience. The BSc/ MArch at the Welsh School of architecture is a highly respected course, ranked amongst the best in the UK and has an excellent alumnus of architects. Additionally, The City of Cardiff has fabulous culture and is packed with stunning works of architecture.

A review of a recent exhibition/ building I've visited

Recently I visited an exhibition by the RIBA in Marylebone, London that highlighted the principles of a circular economy and how it can assist in creating more sustainable architecture for the future. I was intrigued to learn how architects can decrease waste by reusing materials from other buildings. This approach is becoming increasingly popular as the world modernises. A recent visit to ‘One Angel Square’ in Manchester, showed me an example of sustainable architecture with an ‘Outstanding’ BREEAM rating. I was fascinated by their advanced technology and innovative strategies in reducing carbon emissions. 

Who is my favourite architect?

As architects we are judged by what we leave behind. Sir Christopher Wren has stated: “architecture aims for eternity” and this is an approach that resonates with me. I love the idea of designing the buildings of tomorrow that preserve the ideas of today. Wren is a highly acclaimed British architect, and his ideas and dedication was critical in the rebuild of London after the Great Fire in 1666. He designed fifty-one new churches and the magnificent St Paul's Cathedral. He gave London a makeover with a classical style, inspired by the work of Inigo Jones. I have always admired Wren’s designs and the long lasting and vital contribution he made to society.

A work of architecture I'd like to experience in person

A building I would love to visit would be the Berlin Cathedral, designed by Julius Carl Raschdorff, as I am fascinated by the High Neo-Renaissance style. The facade of the building is decorated with stunning columns and arches, each window embellished with the coat of arms of the royal dynasty. However, perhaps the most impressive feature is the striking blue dome, which can be seen all over Berlin. Researching the fascinating history of the structure, it details that the cathedral is filled with religious artifacts, immense interior detailing and is the burial place for 90 members of the royal Hohenzollern Dynasty. I would love to visit Berlin to experience this gorgeous design and hopefully take inspiration for my own work.