Physical Self Project

Portrait Project

In year 12 I began a project on portraiture. It ran for 4 months and the only requirement was for the final outcome to be painted.



This was a series of monochrome drawings I produced. They helped build my confidence with facial proportions and allowed me to better understand the use of tone in my drawings.

Afterwards, I carried out much more experimentation with various painting techniques such as...

- Underpainting 
- Flesh tones
- Impasto 

MOCK UP

Throughout the project I was researching various artists and sculptors. In the end, I focused on Michelangelo's work and produced this mock up in acrylic.

I found acrylic paint quite hard to blend and didn't like the way the paint sat on the canvas, I then did some experimenting with oil paints

Finally, I found the absence of colour left the painting quite boring. Therefore I decided I wanted to use the background in order to make the piece more exiting 

- St. David's Statue
               Florence, Italy 

Background Experimentation 


A1 Final Outcome

This was my final outcome in oil paint.
 I used cooler tones in the background to best compliment the statue.
The oil paints were much easier to blend and left the painting looking extremely clear and smooth. 
Overall, I was very impressed with the painting.