3D Modelling

    Matchbox Challenge 


In the beginning of my A-level art course, I was often set frequent "two week challenges". We would be given a vague brief and sent away for 2 weeks to create whatever we wanted. 
In November 2021 we were given the "matchbox challenge" and asked to create anything with a matchbox.

I saw it as an opportunity to create a 3D architecture model. Inspired by Habitat 67, I created this out of 30 mini matchboxes. 


Kristine Emerson Response 


This is a recent piece of work I created as experimentation for my Year 13 final piece. I love the artistic style of the sculpture and the messy texture of the cardboard.

Minty Sainsbury


In year 12, as part of a two-week challenge, I constructed seven wooden model houses which get gradually advanced as they follow down a wooden board, this reflected the journey I hope art and design will take me on. As I progress through my education and career, the quality of the architecture I’m producing is becoming increasingly developed. This year, I found this model made be made useful in my project as a response to a graphite artist: Minty Sainsbury. I was very pleased with the outcome.

Cardiff University



I’ve recently attended a variety of open days and got to see all the exceptional models created by degree level students. I loved seeing the development of skill in model making as students progressed through their course. In particular I was really fascinated by the use of ground layers in their models, and I hope to incorporate this technique into my final outcome. 

Final Outcome 



This is my Final Piece for my personal investigation. I have explored the subject of architecture in the European setting. Here I have taken inspiration from all the artists and architects I discovered and combined their techniques to create my own composition and style for this high neo- renaissance structure. Overall, I found my final piece to a precise indication of my best ability in model making and a true reflection of everything I have learnt in my personal investigation.